I get asked frequently what software we use to create and render of landscape plans. Typically there are several software applications that we use in the design process-
Drafting: We use Vectorworks, a popular alternative to Autocad (which is the industry standard). Typically detail drafting is done in Vectorworks, which is well suited for residential landscape planning.
Image Processing and Plan Presentation Drawings and Graphics: We use Adobe products Photoshop and Illustrator for image processing. We will draft a plan in Vectorworks and then color and manipulate it using Illustrator. Photoshop is used for digital mock-ups and image improvements.
Plant Selection: We use a couple of plant databases to help with plant selection. PlantMaster is a regional California database that we use to select plants based on cultural requirements; soil type, water use, aspect, characteristics etc.
We also use Horticopia, a National database, with an excellent image library, so that clients get a good idea for the plants to be installed.
Other Software: Some other useful software applications we use in the design process.
Adobe Acrobat Professional- for client communication
MindManager- for planning and organization
Microsoft Office- for a variety of standard uses
Dreamweaver- for web publication
Plan Drafted with Vectorworks and Rendered with Adobe Illustrator
Digital Mock up of Pool Wall using Adobe Photoshop and El Dorado Manufactured Stone Textures
Planting Picture Contact Sheet Created with Plant Databases
- New Design Services Overview We have posted a new Adobe Acrobat .pdf version of our design services overview...
- Digital Drafting vs. Hand Drafting As it seems everything becomes digitized and done on computers it is interesting to reflect...
- Common Landscape Mistakes: The Napkin Plan The Napkin Plan Syndrome is something we see a lot in our office when we...
- The Power of Adobe Acrobat Professional Adobe Acrobat is commonly used for creating documents distributed off the web, and for a...
- Client Design Feedback – Corte Madera Project We are working on a design and installation project in Corte Madera, which had been...